Search

VISIT SUNBURY

Big Mambos Latin Bistro

9 N. Center Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

B&G's
Spot

438 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Eclipse Craft Brewing

249 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Mama G's
Cafe

436 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Mcguigan's Public House

266 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Midtown
Bistro

323 Rear Market Street,
Sunbury, PA 17801

The
Duck In

453 Woodlawn Avenue
Sunbury, PA 17801

The
Squeeze-In

448 1/2 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Beiter's
Furniture

1189 N. 4th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

La
Olanchana

259 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Benjamin T. Moyer

35 S. 4th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Cardella's
On Market

334 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Weis
Markets

1000 S. 2nd St. & 1100 N. 4th St.
Sunbury, PA 17801

Jasmine Aire Boutique

415 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Driftwood & Sage Boutique

417 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

River Valley Vintage

Inside Sunbury Station
100 N 3rd Street, Sunbury, PA 17801

Steam Innovation Labs

363 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Zimmerman Motors

1301 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Iron
Fit

140 S. 2nd Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Family Care Home Health Agency

329 Arch Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Purdy Insurance Agency, Inc.

136 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Schindler's
Studio

515 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

1337
Rentals

401 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Extended Arms Home Care

214 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Sunbury Motor Company

943 North 4th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

The North-umberland National Bank

403 North 4th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Service Electric Cablevision

3662 Point Township Drive, Northumberland, PA 17857

Service 1st
FCU

1185 North 4th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Phoenix Physical Therapy

1169 Nth 4th Street,
Sunbury, PA 17801

K&N
Electric INC.

1030 Walnut Street,
Sunbury, PA 17801

A Community Clinic

344 Market Street,
Sunbury, PA 17801

Bowen Agency Realtors

159 S 2nd Street,
Sunbury, PA 17801

Degenstein Community Library

40 S. 5th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

PA
CareerLink

225 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801
(Third Floor)

Sunbury Arts Council

423 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Fraternal Order of Eagles

33 Sth 3rd Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

Greater Susquehanna Valley YMCA

1150 N 4th Street
Sunbury, PA 17801

EVENTS

Check out the events happening in Sunbury!

CITY PARKING LOTS

To obtain a permit parking pass, visit the treasurer office at 225 Market Street.
Any questions call 570-286-4588.

SUNBURY'S HISTORY

Although Sunbury was officially established in 1772, settlement of this area began decades earlier. Our city has been the site of significant historical events. Below are a few key moments in Sunbury's vibrant history.

Site of Fort Augusta

Because of its strategic point along the Susquehanna, Sunbury became the site of one of the most important frontier forts in Pennsylvania, Fort Augusta. Ft. Augusta was a reliable stronghold during the days of the French and Indian War. It also played a major role in the Revolutionary War where it served as the military headquarters for the American Forces in the Upper Susquehanna Valley.​

The gentle beauty of the Susquehanna River flows along the western edge of the city. The river has provided prosperity and recreation to the Sunbury area for many years. The village of Shamokin, with about ten Native American dwellings, were located along the water. This village became the site of Fort Augusta.

The Native Americans of the Six Nations met with Governor Morris on January 17, 1756 and urged him to take their village and build a fort there. Native Americans from the Upper Allegheny Region along with French troops were trying to claim this Territory for France. Raiding parties laid waste to many small communities such as Penn’s Creek where white settlers had been massacred in 1755. The Native Americans of Six Nations believed that a Fort at this site would protect them as well as the white settlers.

The Commandant of the fort was Colonel Sam Hunter. He lived at the fort and supervised the sending of troops to serve in Washington’s Army. Hunter also provided protection and support to smaller forts in the area. As the Revolutionary War progressed, the Iroquois became allies of the British and frequently invaded the area. In 1778 a massacre occurred in Wyoming that sent settlers fleeing to Fort Augusta seeking protection. Colonel Hartley restored order briefly but in 1779 Native American raids began again. An expedition against the Iroquois was planned and executed by General John Sullivan. The campaign stopped Britain’s Native American allies.

Fort Augusta eventually became the property of Colonel Hunter and his descendants lived there until 1848 when the log home burned. Fort Augusta became the property of its last commander, Colonel Hunter, and his descendants lived there until 1848 when the log home burned.

The present Hunter House was built by Captain Samuel Hunter, a grandson of Colonel Sam Hunter. The home at 1150 North Front Street in Sunbury is now home to the Northumberland County Historical Society and houses a museum with an excellent historical and genealogical library.

But it wasn’t until the Wizard of Menlo Park came to town, that Sunbury truly became a historic site. Sunbury became internationally famous when in 1883 Thomas Edison demonstrated his invention, the electric light, by wiring the city hotel. The hotel, which was the first building to use Edison’s three wire system, changed the world and was renamed “The Edison Hotel” to honor the inventor.

In July of 1883, the City Hotel became the first building ever to be wired for electricity. Thomas Edison wired the hotel using his three wire system. The hotel was renamed “The Edison Hotel” in his honor. The same day Edison wired the Railroad Station on Second Street. Sunbury had become an important railroad center and by 1910 the population was 13,770.

The Sunbury Flood Wall was proposed after the disastrous flood that occurred in March of 1936. The City and residents suffered over 4 million dollars in damage. Construction of the flood system began in May of 1946 by the War Department, later changed to the Department of the Army, and was completed in 1951 at a cost of 6.6 million dollars.

The existing flood control system protects 147 acres of the City of Sunbury is a combination of 2.4 miles of flood wall, 2.6 miles of levees and several pumps monitoring stations. This system has evolved and been improved over the course of 60 years to protect the City from flooding.

The largest component of the Sunbury protection flood protection system is the flood wall. There are two basic flood wall types, the T wall that averages 19’ tall and ‘I’ wall which average 12’ tall. Currently there are 6 openings in the current flood control system. These openings have been tested several times and have proven to be reliable against event floods.

The Flood Control system is a complex network of pump stations, drainage structures, interceptor storm drains, sluice gates, flap gates, levees, flood wall, closure structures and early warning systems that work together to provide protection from the raging waters of Shamokin Creek and the Susquehanna River. Specifically, the flood system is comprised of 2.4 miles of concrete flood wall, 2.6 miles of earthen levee, 6 pumping stations, 8 interceptor sewers, 11 drainage structures, 7 closure structures, 61 flap gates and 31 sluice gates

Since the 1800’s, the Susquehanna River has experienced a significant flood event on the average of once every 20 years. The Sunbury Flood Wall has protected Sunbury from over 15 high water events since it was completed in 1951. In 1972, flood waters from Hurricane Agnes crested at 35.8 feet at Sunbury, two feet higher than the crest in 1936. The wall held back the water and residents showed their gratitude in messages left on the wall.

The Adam T. Bower Dam is an extremely unique site in Sunbury. The dam is actually an inflatable fiber tube which stretches across the Susquehanna River. The dam is inflated in the spring to form a reservoir which is perfect for fishing and water sports, such as water skiing. The dam is lowered in the fall to allow fish migration and to keep the water’s level down when the spring thaws the snow.

Mayor Walter E. Drumheller (two-terms)

Mayor Henry Heckart (one-term)

Mayor Morris R. Michaels (three-terms)

Mayor Joseph B. Nesbit (death in second term)

Mayor Fred E. Hoffman (1951-1955)

Mayor Allen M. Wolfe (1955-1958)

Mayor Lester P. Shissler (two-terms)

Mayor Samuel W. Haupt (one-term)

Mayor Donald R. Morgan (three-terms resign on fourth term)

Mayor William E. Gass (one-term)

Mayor Scott A. Heintzelman (two-months)

Mayor Charles E. Moll (one-term)

Mayor David L. Persing (six-terms)

Mayor Jesse C. Woodring (one-term)

Mayor Kurt M. Karlovich (one-term)

Mayor Joshua A. Brosious (Present)